Recently, one of my teachers made a comment about our increasing cultural tendency to relate ourselves to technology. To see ourselves like machinery.
I mean, there’s tons of cultural talk about “upgrading” “downloading” “hacking” every area of our lives to go faster and be more efficient and productive.
We bristle when our phones or computers take more than 5 seconds to do anything. Like when did 5 seconds become sooo long?!
We multi-task our little bodies and minds into meltdown (love your adrenals, kiddo).
We forget that we know things and consult the google machine without pause.
In fact, we are really these precious, emotional, sensitive meatbags. Bundles of intelligent nerves and pulses and stardust that continue to defy science on a daily basis!
We are feeling, connected, loving, loved, experiential, SENSUAL, forgiving, irrational, prone to awe, CONSCIOUS, mistake-making, creatures! I don’t want to ever forget that. There’s so much wisdom in these qualities.
I so want us to stay connected to our very humxn experience. To each other.
So, I guess this is it. I am coming out, officially, as pro meatbag.*
As you know, I’m obsessed with slowing down. More and more I see it is as the absolute foundation of how we’re going to compassionately evolve as a species.
Can you be deeply connected to your intuition, your heart, your body, and other humxns if you’re going a million miles an hour? Nerp.
Your body (only so many times I can write meatbag, you know? Mb for short?) is full of infinite, cosmic wisdom. Listen to it. That’s your homework this weekend. Er, every weekend.
Ask your mb some questions. Most people I know, even those who are super in tune with their mb’s, have never done this.
- Get still and quiet. Take a few deep breaths. Let your eyes soften in their focus. In your own words/way tell your mb that you want to have an honest, heart-to-heart and that you want some realtalk, honest feedback about what it’s feeling. You’ll be asking questions and listening for answers. Ask your body the following:**
- How much have I tapped into your overall potential? How do you feel about this?
- Are you in good condition? How do you feel about this?
- How do you feel about the food/substances I put into you? Be really specific, I’m listening.
- Do you get the appropriate amount of rest to be in optimal health? How do you feel about this?
- How do you feel about the thoughts I think about you? Is there something that would feel better?
- Do you feel loved and appreciated by me? Tell me more.
- Is there anything else you want to tell me, mb?
- Then tell your mb anything you want to tell it.
This is generally a profound experience for most folks. You can totally keep the door open and communicate with your body all the time.
Slow down, ask, listen, trust and act on what you hear. This is the building block of self-trust, compassionate connection, self-love, truth, confidence…all the good, necessary stuff we need in the world right now.
What’d did you hear? I LOVE getting answers to these questions. If you write me, I’ll write you back. Humxn to humxn, using the bridge of technology to connect.
I’ll be back on instagram live Friday at 11am PDT for my MAGIC HOUR talkin’ about all this. Join me! We’ll use the playground of technology to feel each other’s humxn-ness best we can.
PS Something reaaal good is coming up next week, so stay tuned!
*FYI I love tech and science — don’t get it twisted. I just know that part of our compulsive speeding up is sucking the life outta us. I’m betting you know it too.
** Adapted from Gail Straub and David Gershon’s Body Dialogue exercise
Image via frances cannon